Football

More woes for Big Sam

Disgraced England boss could face FA charges and even a ban

Sam Allardyce could face Football Association charges and even a ban following the controversy that brought his England reign to an abrupt end.

Exiting Euro 2016 at the last-16 stage to Iceland should have been the Three Lions' lowest ebb this year, yet Roy Hodgson's successor managed to add another embarrassing chapter.

Allardyce's dream job came to an end after just 67 days as the Daily Telegraph released secretly-filmed footage of him making controversial remarks about a variety of subjects, including side work and circumventing Football Association regulations.

It was a galling end to the briefest of spells and one which FA chairman Greg Clarke said would be investigated, with chief executive Martin Glenn announcing charges could be brought against Allardyce.

"It is realistic," he said, when asked if charges could follow.

"I am pleased that the Telegraph are releasing (the full transcripts) to the police first because that is what has to happen.

"Once we get access to that, we have a separate integrity unit. It's very good.

"We've treated Sam as an employee. Sam's role as a participant in the game will then be, potentially, part of this next process, if there is one.

"It's not for me to call but, once the evidence is clear, the decision will be based on the merits of the evidence.

"You could guess probably bringing the game into disrepute might be one, but I can't comment on it because we do have a separation of powers within the FA, we have a separate charging unit I can't interfere with."

PUNISHMENT

When asked what potential sanctions Allardyce could face, Glenn said: "It ranges and it depends. It could range from a fine to a ban - that's what the history has been on those kind of things.

"But it will be for a tribunal to decide, an independent tribunal."

The FA has to wait to receive all the Telegraph's transcripts from its wide-ranging investigation into British football, with police being given first access.

Glenn says the sooner the affected parties get the information the better, although he underlined that as football's regulator in England, the FA can only work within certain parameters.

Meanwhile, Glenn admitted Arsene Wenger is among the candidates who "perfectly" fit the criteria to take the England job.

England Under-21 boss Gareth Southgate has been placed in interim charge for the remaining four matches of 2016, giving Glenn, FA chairman Greg Clarke and technical director Dan Ashworth the chance to take their time when recruiting a full-time successor.

Long-serving Arsenal manager Wenger, 66, is out of contract in the summer and would fit the bill, and he even said on Friday: "If I am free one day, why not?"

Glenn was keen not to talk about external possibilities but acknowledged: "Of course he'd fit the criteria perfectly. Of course he would, as would a few others." - PA Sport.

Graft claims are lies: Agent

One of the agents caught on film making sensational revelations of corruption against eight current and former English Premier League managers admitted to the BBC on Friday that he had lied.

Italian agent Giuseppe Pagliara, who claimed he opened Swiss bank accounts for managers and worked through intermediaries to cover the illegal payments, said he had hoped to pick up business in a series of meetings with the representatives of a fake Far East company, who were in fact undercover reporters.

"I allowed them to believe the managers would not drop the money on the floor if I gave it to them," he told the BBC.

Pagliara, who still insisted there was corruption in the English game, added his life had been ruined by what he termed the "disgraceful sting".

The Daily Telegraph, whose investigation claimed the scalp of England manager Sam Allardyce on Tuesday over his remarks on third-party ownership, stood by their investigation.

"Our investigations team had numerous meetings and telephone conversations with Mr Pagliara over many months," read the newspaper's statement.

"The transcripts of our investigation, which are currently being prepared for the police and the FA (Football Association), make it very clear what he said about a series of Premier League managers."

The other two agents who were also fooled into believing they were talking to potential clients have not added anything since their initial reactions.

Scott McGarvey denied any wrongdoing while Dax Price said he would not respond to the investigation without further detail.

Allardyce, 61, was axed just 67 days into the job as England manager, after he and the FA agreed his position had become untenable. - AFP.

england managerFootballemployment