Rose is in full bloom

Full-back’s goal enough to finish off 10-man Stoke


(Rose 33)

Danny Rose was the central figure as Tottenham won their first away game for more than two months against 10-man Stoke City.

The defender scored his first Premier League goal of the season in the 33rd minute and was then caught by Ryan Shawcross to earn the Stoke captain a second yellow card seven minutes after the break.

Stoke responded well but were unable to find an equaliser as they slipped to only a third home defeat this season.

The main talking point before the game had centred around Charlie Adam, with Spurs boss Tim Sherwood forced to deny his players would refuse to shake the playmaker’s hand. The Scot has become a hate figure for Spurs fans after a serious of controversial tackles, the most recent of which sidelined Paulinho for a month.

In the end, there was no handshake as Adam was a substitute, although that did not stop Tottenham fans jeering him. The visitors were quicker out of the blocks and Nacer Chadli shot wide after only 19 seconds, while Asmir Begovic had to react quickly to push Aaron Lennon’s mis-hit cross past the post.

Shawcross was furious with what he felt was a forearm to the face from Emmanuel Adebayor but referee Andre Marriner took no action.

The home side withstood the early pressure to enjoy a decent spell, and Spurs were grateful for the presence in their defence of Michael Dawson, back after a hamstring injury.

The centre-back was key in dealing with the threat of former Spurs striker Peter Crouch, who was involved as Stoke came close to taking the lead in the 27th minute, playing in Stephen Ireland, who cut in from the left and unleashed a powerful shot that just curled beyond the far post.


But six minutes later it was Spurs who opened the scoring when Adebayor beat Glenn Whelan on the right of the area before sending in a perfect cross for Rose, who planted a fine header past Begovic.

And the visitors might have extended their lead just before half-time when Harry Kane, in search of his fourth goal in four games, was given time and space but he dwelled on the ball a fraction too long and his shot was blocked.

Stoke began the second half brightly with a shot from Marko Arnautovic that flew wide but their hopes of getting anything from the game were dented in the 52nd minute when Shawcross was shown a second yellow card.

The defender, who had been booked for a foul on Christian Eriksen in the first half, caught Rose on the shin with his studs. Referee Marriner initially did not even give a free-kick but, with Rose still on the floor, pulled back play and produced the red card, to the anger of the home fans.

Stoke boss Mark Hughes moved Marc Muniesa to centre-back, with Erik Pieters replacing Stephen Ireland and taking over at left-back. Rose was booed every time he touched the ball and the full-back was booked for pushing Geoff Cameron in the chest after the Stoke man had felled him. His game was over soon after as Sherwood took him out of the firing line to be replaced with Zeki Fryers.

Stoke were fired up and were enjoying their best spell, with Peter Odemwingie, Arnautovic and Steven Nzonzi missing the target. Arnautovic then produced a much better effort that was awkwardly blocked by Hugo Lloris.

At the other end, Eriksen sent a freekick just over the bar, but it was Stoke doing most of the attacking and their calls for a penalty were in vain as Dawson and Odemwingie clashed.

Their clearest opening came in the 84th minute as Arnautovic broke through, but the Austrian shot tamely at Lloris.