World Cup: Rossi frustrated by Italy omission
Giuseppe Rossi has voiced his frustration after he was left out of Italy's World Cup squad.
The Fiorentina striker, who was left out in 2010 and missed Euro 2012 due to injury, was a surprise omission from the Azzurri's final 23-man squad announced on Sunday.
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli had previously indicated that Rossi's inclusion would hinge on his fitness.
However, Rossi, who was Serie A's leading scorer before he was sidelined for four months in January with a knee problem, used his Twitter account to dismiss suggestions that he isn't fit.
Rossi returned to action last month and finished among the top 10 scorers in Serie A with 16 goals.
'Disappointed and bitter'
While he then tweeted that the most important thing for him left to do was "root for Italy", the former Manchester United player's agent Andrea Pastorello said the news was a bitter pill for Rossi to swallow.
Speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport, Pastorello said: "Giuseppe is disappointed and bitter. Now he will support his team-mates.
"It's an exclusion that we accept with some regret but without making any controversy because it doesn't serve for anything.
"The only thing I can say is that Giuseppe has made incredible sacrifices in the last five months and unfortunately, it hasn't been enough.
"This is why the exclusion weighs heavy on us."
Italy also had to make do without Ricardo Montolivo, who fractured his leg during Italy's pre-World Cup friendly with Ireland and will miss the first half of the upcoming football season.
Sources: Sky Sports, Twitter