Football

Police probe Toure abuse on Twitter

The police are investigating claims that Yaya Toure was racially abused within hours of reactivating his Twitter account.

Manchester City midfielder Toure rejoined Twitter on Monday, five months after leaving the social network site in order to focus on the World Cup.

The Ivory Coast international posted his first tweet at 6pm, reflecting on City's derby win over Manchester United the previous day.

He wrote: "Great to be back on twitter after a good win yesterday. Now my focus is on the next game... Happy Monday everyone!!"

Within hours of posting the message, the 31-year-old received abusive and racist messages from other Twitter accounts.

Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out was appalled by some of the tweets and decided to report the matter to the police.

"NEWS: We are informing the Police of racist tweets directed @yayatoure earlier this evening and offer him our full support #kickitout," KIO posted on Twitter.

A Kick It Out spokesperson told Press Association Sport on Monday night: "At this stage, we have received complaints about two separate tweets of a racist nature aimed at Yaya Toure and now we are informing the police.

"Yaya Toure has been on Twitter for a matter of hours and he has already received abuse of an appalling nature. We are disturbed by the fact that someone can be treated this way.

"It makes footballers start to question why they should use these platforms.

"We will offer Yaya Toure our full support."

This is not the first time Toure has been the target of racist abuse.

Last season, he was subjected to racist chanting during City's Champions League game at CSKA Moscow.

"I'm not just disappointed, I'm furious," Toure said after City's 2-1 win in Russia. "It was unbelievable and very sad."

CSKA denied Toure had been abused, but Uefa disagreed and ordered the Russian club to close part of their ground for their next Champions League match.

Meanwhile, Man City defender Aleksandar Kolarov has been ruled out for a month with a calf injury, manager Manuel Pellegrini revealed yesterday.

The Serbia left back (above) was injured in the warm-up before last Sunday's derby victory over Man United.

Kolarov is now set to miss Champions League fixtures against CSKA Moscow tomorrow morning (Singapore time) and Bayern Munich as well as Premier League games against QPR, Swansea and Southampton this month.

Pellegrini said: "Kolarov has an important muscle injury in his calf so he will be at least one month. Well, I am not a doctor, but I suppose that."

Defender Eliaquim Mangala is available after missing the derby but midfielders Frank Lampard and David Silva are still sidelined.

Former England international Lampard had been hopeful of returning after missing four games with a thigh problem but the weekend trip to QPR looks a more likely target.

Lampard, 36, has been missed by City in recent weeks, having made a big impact since signing on loan from sister club New York City until January.

There has been speculation over whether City could seek to extend his stay and even a report that the ex-Chelsea star has already signed a deal until the end of the season.

But Pellegrini suggested such reports are premature by reiterating the position both he and Lampard have spoken of, that no decision has yet been made.

Pellegrini said: "Frank Lampard is injured, so when he recovers we can talk about that issue.

"We can see what happens in December. We have until December to decide." - PA Sport.