Some facts about Jurgen Klopp, who quit as manager of Borussia Dortmund
Borussia Dortmund head coach Jurgen Klopp announced on Wednesday (April 15) that is leaving the club at the end of the season:
Here are some facts about him:
- The charismatic team builder led Borussia Dortmund to the German Bundesliga title in 2011 and a historic club double in 2012.
- He then guided a side spearheaded by Polish target man Robert Lewandowski to the 2013 Champions League final, where they narrowly lost 1-2 to arch rivals Bayern Munich.
- Ahead of the 2013 season, Klopp sparked a nationwide debate in the German media about male grooming after undergoing a hair transplant to combat his receding hairline.“Yes, it’s true. I underwent a hair transplant. I think the results are really cool, don’t you?” said Klopp, who is often seen in a baseball cap.
- Klopp and many observers felt the power struggle between Dortmund and Bayern Munich tipped toward the Bavarians when the latter poached the star midfielder Mario Goetze (who scored the 2014 World Cup final winning goal for Germany) away from Dortmund. “It was like a heart attack,” Klopp said when the then 20-year-old admitted in April 2013 he would be switching allegiances.
- A touchline prowler, Klopp is a television producers' dream as he shows the whole gamut of emotions from the dug out, from wild joy to alarming anger. He is also known for walking home after a game to review the match in his mind.
- Bookmakers in the UK were unanimous in establishing Manchester City as favourites to be Klopp’s next port of call, with some even offering odds on at 8/11 (down from 16-1 a day earlier) for him to take over from Manuel Pellegrini.
- Other potential destinations suggested by the bookies are Barcelona, Real Madrid, Arsenal and Liverpool.