Class of Terminators
The sixth instalment of The Terminator franchise, Terminator: Dark Fate, opens tomorrow. The apocalyptic time travel story of man versus killer machines picks up where Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) left off. The New Paper looks at some of the memorable Terminators that made their mark in movies
Appearances: T3, TS
The Series 1 was built to clear battlefields of human troops with its two .50-calibre miniguns.
• Tank treads provide superior grip and manoeuvrability
• Laser targeting system with auditory, heat and motion sensors
Skynet continues to use liquid metal technology, layering it over an advanced endoskeleton.
• Able to reconfigure an arm to access inbuilt weapons such as the plasma cannon and flamethrower
• Capable of sustaining extreme damage that no other unit has been known to survive
The first attempt at an Infiltrator machine featuring a titanium alloy endoskeleton. Precursor to the T-800 series.
• Latex rubber skin for simple disguise
• Able to lift five times its own weight, punch through concrete and metal
Created by infecting humans with nanobots, completely rewriting their genetic coding. Leader of the Resistance, John Connor, became a T-3000
• Invulnerable to physical attacks, bullets, explosions
• Able to "dissipate" into a mist-like swarm and reassemble itself almost immediately
Appearances: T2, TG
A Terminator made of a "mimetic polyalloy" - a liquid metal with molecular memory.
• Able to morph into anything it touches and impersonate humans
• Resist physical attacks and regenerate quickly
• Able to fashion solid weapons from its limbs
Also known as Alex, the T-5000 is a humanoid host and personification of the Skynet network.
• Able to infect humans with nanobots
• Most advanced Terminator ever created and undetectable as a robot
Appearances: T1, T2, T3, TS, TG, Dark Fate
Skynet's first successful Infiltrator unit against the Resistance.
The later T-850 model ran an advanced human psychology programme.
These Terminators can last for 120 years on one power cell.
• Hyperalloy covered with human tissue
• Heads-up display to perform internal checks
Appearance: Terminator: Dark Fate
The latest cyborg to join the family. This two-in-one Terminator model has a traditional solid endoskeleton body, covered with a liquid metal exoskeleton (similar to the T-X model). This advanced Terminator model is sent from the future to terminate the protagonists in Dark Fate.
• The ability to split into two fully autonomous Terminators, making it twice as deadly
• Able to create solid - and sharp - weapons from all its body parts