Stars and fans tell comedian Joan Rivers: A piece of you (the nose) lives on
Acerbic comedian Joan Rivers died in New York on Thursday, a week after suffering cardiac arrest during a medical procedure on her vocal cords, her only child Melissa Rivers said.
Melissa added that her mother died peacefully, surrounded by family and friends.
Rivers was the second leading American comedian to die in less than a month. Groundbreaking comedy star and actor Robin Williams, 63, hanged himself on Aug 13 in California.
While fans have been leaving flowers on her Hollywood Walk of Fame star, fellow comedians, actors and prominent figures took to social media platforms to pay tribute to the hilariously witty Rivers:
1. Melissa Rivers in a statement announcing her mother's death:
2. Statement from television network E! (which aired Rivers' "Fashion Police" show) and parent company NBC Universal:
"For decades, Joan has made people laugh, shattered glass ceilings and revolutionised comedy.
"She was unapologetic and fiercely dedicated to entertaining all of us and has left an indelible mark on the people that worked with her and on her legions of fans."
3. Actor Seth Rogen on Twitter:
Flowers and mementos are pictured on the star of comedian Joan Rivers on the Walk of Fame in Hollywood.
Memorial for Joan Rivers on the Marquee of the Gotham Comedy Club on September 4, 2014 in New York City. Photos: AFP, Reuters
4. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement:
"Joan Rivers brought laughter to millions around the world and was proud of her Jewish heritage and a vocal supporter of the State of Israel. We will miss her deeply and we send our heartfelt condolences to her family."
5. TV journalist Barbara Walters said in a statement:
"No one loved life, laughter and a good time more than Joan. We would have dinner and laugh and gossip and I always left the table smiling. She was a brassy, often outrageous and hilarious performer who made millions laugh. In private, she was the picture of elegance and class. I will miss her."
6. Actress and singer Liza Minnelli said on Facebook:
7. Donald Trump, whose Celebrity Apprentice reality TV show Rivers won in 2009 said on Twitter:
8. Comedian Louis C.K. said in a statement:
"I never saw someone attack a stage with so much energy. She was a controlled lightning bolt."
9. Comedian and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres said on Twitter:
10. George Kotsiopoulos, Fashion Police co-host, on Twitter:
11. Actress and singer Bette Midler said on Twitter:
12. Comedian Sarah Silverman said on Twitter:
13. Actress Anna Kendrick said on Twitter:
14. Actress Lena Dunham said on Twitter:
Sources: Reuters, Facebook, Twitter, AFP