Taylor Swift's mum diagnosed with cancer
If you care about your loved ones, get them to go for medical check-ups even if they seem healthy.
That's the message Taylor Swift sent out when she announced yesterday (April 9) that her mother has been diagnosed with cancer.
The pop superstar shared on Tumblr that she asked for a selfless Christmas present last year.
"I asked my mom that one of her gifts to me be her going to the doctor to get screened for any health issues, just to ease some worries of mine. She agreed, and went in to get checked. There were no red flags and she felt perfectly fine, but she did it just to get me and my brother off her case about it."
Andrea Finlay, Swift's mum. PHOTO: Instagram/Taylor Swift
Swift, 25, said that she wanted to keep the details of her mum's condition and treatment plans private, but her mum had a different idea.
"She wanted you to know because your parents may be too busy juggling everything they've got going on to go to the doctor, and maybe you reminding them to go get checked for cancer could possibly lead to an early diagnosis and an easier battle…
"Or peace of mind in knowing that they're healthy and there's nothing to worry about."
According to the Singapore Cancer Society, here are eight early signs and symptoms of cancer:
1. Sores that don't heal, especially those on the skin, penis, vagina or oral cavity, shouldn't be overlooked.
2. Unusual bleeding or discharge like blood in the phlegm or stool could be a sign of cancer.
3. Thickening of lumps in the breast or not other parts of the body.
4. Change in bowel habits or bladder function.
5. Nagging cough or hoarseness of the throat or voice.
6. Indigestion or difficulty in swallowing.
7. Recent changes in a wart or mole.
8. Unexplained weight loss or fever.
Sources: Tumblr, Singapore Cancer Society