Grilled scallop salad
Feeling overwhelmed with guilt from all that festive feasting?
Try this grilled scallop salad - it is slightly indulgent with the bacon but hey, it's still a salad.
If your resolution is to eat healthy, it may be more practical to ease yourself into a healthier diet without going from festive feasting to a depressing diet.
Go for bacon with lower sodium because scallops are naturally salty. You can also skip the bacon or use prawns instead of scallops.
I like the refreshing taste of mizuna, which is also known as Japanese mustard. It has a slightly peppery taste but is milder than rucola.
But mizuna is not easily available. Substitute with any salad leaves of your choice if you cannot get mizuna.
You can make more of the salad dressing, store it in an air-tight jar and keep in the fridge to use the next day if a salad diet is part of your New Year resolutions.
- 8 scallops
- 8 strips of bacon
- 3 fresh button mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado
- 1 egg
- 125g mizuna
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- Mix the following:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp honey
1. Place the egg in a saucepan and add enough water to cover the egg. Bring the water to boil on medium-low heat, then cover the saucepan and turn off the heat. Leave for 10 minutes.
2. Remove the egg and place in a bowl of cool water. Peel and slice the egg. Set aside.
3. Wrap each scallop with bacon and use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place. (A)
4. Use the medium setting of your oven grill to grill the scallops for 4 minutes. Flip them over and grill for another 4 minutes or until the bacon and scallops are cooked through. (B)
5. Heat one teaspoon of cooking oil in a pan. Fry the sliced mushrooms. (C)
6. Slice the avocado and squeeze lemon juice over the slices to prevent them from browning.
7. Place salad leaves in a serving dish. Arrange the mushroom, cherry tomatoes, avocado slices, egg and grilled scallops on top of the leaves.
8. Drizzle on the salad dressing or serve it on the side.