Hed Chef: Abalone seafood brown rice beehoon
Hit the sweet spot with this sumptuous treat of abalone and an assortment of seafood served on a bed of brown rice beehoon.
For healthier festive cooking, I skipped the lard. But I must say, the results are still satisfying.
How can it not be when you pile on the baby abalone?
Unless you are an abalone snob, this dish is a tantalising treat for this festive season.
Better yet, it is deliciously affordable. I have no qualms using farmed abalone for this .
If you can, make your own chicken stock. That way, you can further control the amount of sodium used.
FOLLOW HED CHEF (@HEDCHEFHEDYKHOO) ON INSTAGRAM FOR MORE CULINARY ADVENTURES
ABALONE SEAFOOD BROWN RICE BEEHOON
INGREDIENTS (SERVES FOUR)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 15g ginger, julienned
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion (100g), sliced
- 50g fresh shiitake mushrooms, quartered
- 200g clams, grit removed
- 2 napa cabbage leaves (150g), cut into 3cm-thick pieces
- 3 ears of baby corn, sliced diagonally into 1.5cm-thick pieces
- 4 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 200g brown rice vermicelli, soaked until softened
- 200g kailan, cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 4 slipper lobsters (700g), cleaned and halved
- 6 prawns (150g), deveined with shells on
- 1 medium-sized squid (120g), sliced into 2cm-thick pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- Dash of ground white pepper
- 60g baby abalones
- 1 stalk of Chinese parsley, cut into 1cm pieces
1. Heat oil in wok using medium heat.
2. Add ginger and fry for 30 seconds.
3. Add garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add red onion and fry for 45 seconds.
5. Add mushrooms and fry for a minute.
6. Add clams and fry for a minute.
7. Add napa cabbage, baby corn and two tablespoons of oyster sauce. Stir-fry then add the vermicelli. (Above)
8. Add kailan and chicken stock. Add remaining oyster sauce. Stir.
9. Place slipper lobsters in a layer. (Above)
10. Cover wok and bring to a boil.
11. Cook for three minutes or until slipper lobsters are nearly cooked.
12. Add in prawns and squid. Cook for a minute or until the mixture is gently boiling.
13. Add eggs. Break the yolks and stir-fry the mixture to distribute the egg.
14. Place cornflour in a small bowl and add two tablespoons of chicken stock. Mix well and add into the wok.
15. Add white pepper. Stir and let the mixture come to a gentle boil.
16. Place abalone in wok and cover for 30 seconds.
17. Transfer into serving dish and garnish with Chinese parsley.