Hed Chef: Soy sauce chicken noodles
As a continuation to last week's chicken rice, this week's recipe is soy sauce chicken noodles - another local classic that is rather easy to whip up.
I prefer using chicken quarters because it is much easier to chop up a quarter than an entire chicken.
It is also easier to estimate the amount to cook if you are cooking for a group.
Best to have a few extra chicken quarters in case you get requests for second helpings.
INGREDIENTS (SERVES SIX)
- 6 chicken quarters
- 6 bundles of dried egg noodles
- 3 stalks spring onion
- 3 stalks of pandan leaves
- 40g ginger, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and quartered
- 1 large red date
- 1 piece of dried orange peel
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 1.5 star anise
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 5 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 small pieces of rock sugar
- 2 litres of water
- 2 stalks spring onion, sliced
1. Bring the 2 litres of water to a boil. Add dried shiitake mushrooms, red date, dried orange peel and black cardamom. Keep at simmering boil for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a frying pan. Over low heat, dry fry the cinnamon, cloves, star anise and black peppercorns until they turn fragrant. (A)
3. Transfer the spices into the boiling pot.
4. Add the ginger, garlic cloves, spring onion and pandan leaves into the pot.
5. Pour in the dark and light soya sauce. Add the salt and rock sugar. This will be the braising liquid.
6. Bring a separate pot of water to a boil and blanch the chicken quarters until there is no visible blood. Remove the chicken quarters and discard the water.
7. Put the chicken quarters into the braising liquid. (B)
8. Cover and boil for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat without removing the pot lid. Keep covered for another 20 minutes. Remove the chicken quarters from the pot and set aside.
9. Cover and continue to boil for another 15 minutes until the braising liquid is reduced. Remove the dried mushrooms and set aside.
10. Strain and reserve the braising liquid to use as gravy. Heat up the gravy when you are ready to eat.
11. Chop up the chicken quarters into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
12. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Boil the noodles, one bundle at a time. (C)
13. Drain and place noodles on plate. Place the chicken and the braised shiitake mushroom on top of the noodles.
14. Drizzle on the soy sauce gravy. Garnish with spring onion.