A refreshing jellyfish salad for Chinese New Year
Besides the sinfully delicious festive dishes that you plan to serve this Chinese New Year, add to the mix a refreshing jellyfish salad.
The recipe featured here is for a savoury jellyfish salad that celebrates texture.
For a sweet, creamy version, there is a recipe below.
Delight your family with these two salads at your reunion dinner. They don't take much time to prepare.
Jellyfish is available at the supermarket. It usually comes with seasoning which you can discard - it's better to make your own and it doesn't require much effort either.
One point to note: Drain off the excess packing liquid to prevent it from diluting your salad dressing.
Instead of ham, you can use smoked salmon for an extra touch of luxury.
5 pieces of wood ear mushroom
1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1 Japanese cucumber, shredded
1 red bell pepper, cut into squares
3 slices of ham, sliced into thin strips
½ carrot, shredded
1 stalk coriander
1 tsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp honey
1 red finger chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
2 stalks of spring onion, sliced finely
Juice of three limes
¼ tsp sugar
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1. Remove the jellyfish from its packaging and place in strainer to drain off the liquid it comes in. Rinse the jellyfish and allow to dry.
2. Place the shredded cucumber in ice water and soak for 30 minutes.
3. Remove cucumber from ice water. Gently squeeze to remove excess water.
4. Soak the dried wood ear mushroom in hot water. Once softened, remove the stem bits.
5. Bring water to boil in a pot. Boil the wood ear mushroom for 5 minutes. Remove the mushroom from water and rinse. Slice finely.
6. In a mixing bowl, place the jellyfish, ham, wood ear mushroom, shredded cucumber, bell pepper, carrot and pomegranate.
7. Mix the dressing ingredients together in a separate bowl.
8. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients.
9. Toss well.
10. Garnish with coriander and sesame seeds.
11. Serve chilled.