Stir-fried beef on rice
Comfort food does not have to be complicated. Stir-fried beef on rice is one of my favourite dishes to cook at home.
For two cups of rice, you can serve up four fairly generous portions of beef and rice. Then again, if you take up my suggestion to cook Japanese Uonuma koshihikari rice, two cups may not be enough to satisfy everyone.
Uonuma, which is in Japan's Niigata prefecture, is famed for its rice.
This short-grained variety renders rice that is fluffy and tender, yet chewy.
I find that a ratio of one cup of uncooked rice to 1½ cups of water results in a texture that I am rather happy with.
As for the beef, pound each slice to tenderise the meat.
- 280g beef slices
- 120g oyster mushrooms
- 100g bean sprouts
- 80g spring onion, sliced into 5cm lengths
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 30g ginger, sliced
- 5 shallots, halved lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 15g unsalted butter
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- 2 tbsp cooking oil (for stir-frying)
- 3 drops of Chinese rose wine
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour
1. Use a meat pounder to pound each slice of beef thinly. (A)
2. Marinate the beef in the Chinese rose wine, Chinese rice wine, light soy sauce, sesame oil, coarsely ground black pepper and cornflour.
3. Heat enough cooking oil in a wok to deep-fry the beef. Once the oil is hot, place beef in the hot oil for 1 minute and remove from oil. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in wok or frying pan. Fry the ginger until fragrant, add the shallots, garlic and dried red chillies. (B)
5. Add the oyster mushroom. Fry for a minute. Add half a tablespoon of oyster sauce.
6. Add the beef slices. Season with remaining oyster sauce. (C)
7. Add the green chillies. Add the dark soy sauce. Stir-fry quickly for 30 seconds.
8. Add the bean sprouts. Stir-fry briefly and add the butter.
9. Once the butter has melted, turn off the heat and throw in the spring onion. Stir through to let the spring onion cook in the residual heat.
10. Serve hot with rice.