Update: Malaysia to return envoy wanted in sex case to N. Zealand
Malaysia said on Wednesday it would send an envoy back to New Zealand to face an attempted rape charge.
It had earlier asked for the case against defence staff assistant Muhammad Rizalman Ismail to be dropped, promising he would never return to New Zealand, according to documents released on Wednesday.
Muhammad Rizalman was accused of stalking a 21-year-old woman in May and attacking her at her home.
He was charged with burglary and assault with intent to commit rape, both of which carry jail terms of up to 10 years.
He escaped prosecution after invoking diplomatic immunity and returning home.
But in an about-turn, Malaysia’s foreign ministry said on Wednesday that Muhammad Rizalman would return to New Zealand “to assist in the investigation for the charges”.
“The Malaysian Government is of the view that this decision will provide an opportunity for Mr. Muhammad Rizalman to cooperate fully and assist the New Zealand authorities in the on-going investigations on the allegations made against him,” it said in a statement.
This is an update to our earlier report, which can be read here.