Rubbish chute at CCK block catches fire
Residents of Block 431, Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4, were startled by an explosive sound coming from their block's central refuse chute on Friday night.
The incident, which occurred at around 9.30pm, damaged the metal shutters of the chute.
A retiree, who gave her name only as Madam Lim, told The New Paper on Sunday on Saturday (Oct 15) afternoon: "Everybody was looking out of their kitchen windows after they heard the 'boom' sound. I didn't see anybody hurt."
A Singapore Civil Defence Force spokesman confirmed that there were no injuries and that a fire involving discarded items in the chute was extinguished by firefighters.
The Chua Chu Kang Town Council issued a letter to residents saying it was conducting safety checks on the affected chute.