Samsung says sorry
Big and bold, those were the first words of Samsung's apology in a full-page newspaper ad in The Straits Times yesterday.
Samsung, the world's largest smartphone maker, is saying sorry to customers following reported cases of "battery cell issues" with its Galaxy Note 7, reportedly one of its best-reviewed phones since it was released last month.
The South Korean electronics company recalled the phones this month after reports emerged of the handsets exploding or catching fire during charging.
Several carriers, including Singapore Airlines, have banned passengers from switching on or charging their Galaxy Note 7 phones during flights.
In its apology yesterday, Samsung said that an exchange programme for affected customers here has begun as a "precautionary measure" and that it "deeply regrets" the inconvenience.
"We ask that you power down your device and make an appointment for a one-for-one exchange as soon as possible".
Affected customers will also get an extended warranty period from the date of exchange.
To exchange the Galaxy Note 7, customers have to go to www.samsung.com/sg/note7exchange by Sept 25 to make an appointment.
This exchange is on until Oct 2.
Customers can choose to self-collect or have the phone delivered free of charge.
Those who require further assistance can call 1800-Samsung (7267864).
Samsung added that it was "truly grateful" for its customers' "patience, understanding and continued support".
"We will work harder to make things right with you once again," it said.