Self-radicalised S'porean teen put on Restriction Order
A self-radicalised Singaporean teenager, who was arrested last month, has been released from custody and placed on a Restriction Order (RO) under the Internal Security Act for two years starting this month.
The 17-year-old boy will have to abide by a series of conditions: He has to attend religious counselling and stop accessing violent or extremist online material.
He is also not allowed to leave Singapore without permission or issue public statements.
The teen was arrested in May so that investigations into the extent of his radicalisation could be carried out.
The Ministry of Home Affairs said in a statement on Monday (June 29) that the unnamed teenager became radicalised "after viewing videos, websites and social media materials propagated by radical ideologues and terrorist elements".
"He had wanted to engage in armed violence alongside the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and had started making preparations to carry out his plans," it said.
The ministry said the teen’s release on a Restriction Order with conditions attached "provides a balance between rehabilitation and preserving public security".
"Further measures will be taken against him if he breaches the conditions of the RO, or if it is assessed that further measures are needed to protect public security," it said.
If you know of or suspect that someone is radicalised, call the Internal Security Department Counter-Terrorism Centre hotline at 1800-2626-473.
"This could save such individuals and allow them to be helped and counselled, so that they are prevented from engaging in violent activities that may cause harm to themselves and others," the ministry said.