Dos and don'ts
The Singapore Police Force website listed some measures residents can take to avoid falling victim to snatch thieves.
- Be alert and attentive to your surroundings.
- If you suspect you are being followed, remain calm and go to a more crowded area or call the police.
- Clutch your handbag tightly under your arm. Have the strap slung across your body, especially when moving around in crowded places such as shopping centres and wet markets.
- When walking along the streets, carry your handbag on the side that is away from moving traffic.
- When returning home alone or late at night, arrange for someone to escort you.
- Carry a shrill alarm to scare off culprits or to attract the attention of others.
- Take shortcuts through dark alleys or secluded areas.
- Wear excessive jewellery or carry large sums of cash.