Ex-CHC leader tried to flee as he 'felt injustice' over case: DPP

This article is more than 12 months old

Former City Harvest Church leader Chew Eng Han admitted during investigations that he had sought to leave Singapore as he "felt injustice" over his High Court case involving the misuse of church funds, a district court heard yesterday.

On the first day of his trial, Deputy Public Prosecutor Christopher Ong said Chew, 58, had also stated during investigations that he did "not want to be convicted".

He allegedly attempted to leave Singapore at the north-eastern part of Pulau Ubin, which is an unauthorised point of departure, at 8.47am on Feb 21.

Chew is accused of committing the offence one day before he was to begin serving his jail term of three years and four months over his role in the misuse of church funds to the tune of millions of dollars.

He is also said to have attempted to defeat the course of justice by boarding a motorised boat at Pulau Ubin jetty earlier that morning.

Chew was originally sentenced in 2015 to six years' jail for his earlier offences, but this was reduced to three years and four months by the High Court in April last year.

The shortened term was upheld by the Court of Appeal on Feb 1.

He started serving his sentence for his earlier offences on March 1 this year.

Yesterday, DPPs Ong and Eugene Sng stated in their opening statement that Chew had made arrangements to leave Singapore illegally.

They said in the statement: "This entailed travelling in the boat towards four fish farms in Singapore waters in the vicinity of north-east Pulau Ubin, which are close to the boundary between Singapore and Malaysian waters."

DPP Ong told District Judge Victor Yeo that on Feb 21, Chew took a boat to Pulau Ubin and boarded another vessel at a jetty there at 8.19am.

Police Coast Guard (PCG) team leader Lam Kok Wah said in a statement that he received a call on his mobile phone at 5.40am on Feb 21 informing him that an "unknown individual" would be attempting to leave Singapore illegally from the vicinity of Changi in a boat.

Inspector Lam spotted the vessel in the waters off Pulau Ubin at 8.43am and PCG officers intercepted it and arrested Chew and Singaporean fish farm owner Tan Poh Teck, 53.

The court heard yesterday that Chew, represented by lawyer Adrian Wee, had decided not to give his testimony in court.

Judge Yeo is expected to give his verdict on Nov 13. Tan was sentenced to 27 weeks' jail in July.