Man, 25, goes on trial for raping girl, then 13, on four occasions

This article is more than 12 months old

A 25-year-old man went on trial in the High Court yesterday for raping a girl, who was then 13, on four occasions between November 2013 and January 2014.

The girl, who is now 17, made a police report against Koh Rong Guang after a collage of sexually explicit photographs he had taken of her made rounds on social media.

Koh, who describes himself as self-employed, faces 12 charges - four of statutory rape, one of sexual assault by penetration, three of criminal intimidation, two of committing an indecent act with a young person, one of causing hurt and one of circulating a nude photo of the girl.

He is contesting all the charges and is being defended by Mr Irving Choh.

Most of the offences were allegedly committed at the staircase of a karaoke outlet at Choa Chu Kang Centre and the staircase of a block of flats in Choa Chu Kang Crescent.

Deputy public prosecutors David Khoo and Sruthi Boppana said the girl became acquainted with Koh in late 2013 through a male friend, then 16.

Her friend was part of a group led by Koh that used to hang out at the Lot One shopping mall and Choa Chu Kang Centre.

The prosecutors said the girl will testify that in late 2013, Koh accosted her while they were at the karaoke outlet at Choa Chu Kang Centre and proceeded to rape her at the staircase.

A few weeks later, Koh allegedly isolated her again at the staircase and threatened her by using a spanner to hit the wall near her face.

Koh allegedly forced her to perform oral sex on him and raped her. He also allegedly forced her to strip and took a photo of her in the nude, which he sent to her friend.

In the third incident, Koh allegedly raped the girl at the staircase of Block 672A, Choa Chu Kang Crescent.

Koh allegedly told two others in the group to have sex with her, but they declined.

The fourth incident allegedly took place on Jan 24, 2014, after Koh contacted the girl, asking her to meet him. Fearful of Koh, she asked her friend to go with her.

When they met at the staircase of Block 672A, Koh allegedly threatened them with a brick and began assaulting her friend. The girl then followed Koh to another floor, where he allegedly raped her.

After the rape, he allegedly made the girl and her friend pose in a sexually explicit manner and photographed them.

Koh then forwarded a collage, comprising three photos from this incident and a photo identifying the girl, to a friend, telling him to post it on his Facebook page.

The girl started testifying yesterday behind closed doors.

The punishment for statutory rape is between eight and 20 years' jail and caning.