Subsidies under the Ministry of Education's School Meals Programme will be extended to older children from June 27, when the second school semester starts.

Currently, only primary school pupils on the ministry's Financial Assistance Scheme and special education pupils aged seven to 12 on a similar scheme benefit from the programme. Subsidies will be extended to all secondary school and special education students on these two schemes.

Some 25,000 to 27,000 more students will benefit, Acting Minister for Education (Schools) Ng Chee Meng said yesterday.

Beware of phone scammers posing as police officers.

The police issued the warning yesterday after they received many reports about the scam.

Members of the public have reported that they picked up phone calls from a person claiming to be from the police.

The recipients of such calls would first hear an automated voice message in Mandarin. A Mandarin-speaking operator would then ask for their personal information.

These calls are not made by police officers, the statement clarified.

"Such calls are typical scammers' tactics," it added, advising members of public to ignore the calls and the caller's instructions, and not to provide any information.

The National Parks Board has been appointed as the new central managing agency for Pulau Ubin.

The island of just 10 sq km previously had 12 government agencies managing its technical and land ownership aspects, Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong said yesterday.

Under the new model, NParks will take over the management of drainage and maintenance of installations such as shelters and bridges.

But NParks will not take over some functions, such as the management of stray animals and Outward Bound Singapore campsites.

These will remain under the purview of the respective agencies because of their expertise.

A child was taken to hospital after his toes were caught in an escalator at the Toa Payoh bus interchange yesterday afternoon.

A video of the six-year-old boy being taken to an ambulance was posted online by Facebook user Vivian Sng.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force said they were alerted to the incident around 1pm. Rescuers released the child's toes from the escalator using hydraulic rescue tools.

He was conscious and taken to KK Women's and Children's Hospital. "Because of very quick response of the police and the ambulance, the child is safe now," the post said.