Three-vehicle collision on AYE injures 17 workers

Seventeen workers injured in three-vehicle AYE collision

A collision involving a bus and two lorries yesterday on the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) left 17 workers injured.

The vehicles were headed towards the Marina Coastal Expressway (MCE) before Clementi Avenue 6 when the accident happened at about 7.15am.

The New Paper (TNP) understands that one lorry was carrying goods, while another was carrying more than 30 workers from WEC Engineers and Constructors.

The workers said they were travelling from the Singapore Contractors Association dormitory along Soon Lee Road, in Boon Lay, to a construction site in Tanah Merah to do water piping works.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) spokesman said they sent a fire engine, three ambulances and a support vehicle to the scene.

Nine workers were sent to the National University Hospitaland eight were sent to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital.

Speaking to The New Paper, a construction worker, who wanted to be known only as Mr Muthumohan, 28, said he and a colleague flew about two metres forward, landing in the middle of the lorry.

He said the impact left him unconscious.

He said: "I heard a very loud noise and suddenly, I couldn't see anything.

"I thought I was going to die."

Mr Muthumohan, an Indian national, said he had been seated and leaning against the back of the lorry when the impact from the crash sent him flying.

CRASH: One of the lorries was carrying workers from their dormitory in Soon Lee Road to their Tanah Merah worksite when the collision occurred. It also damaged the windscreen of the lorry.  PHOTOS: LIANHE WANBAO

He had slight bruising on his back and was given two days' medical leave.


Another worker, who wanted to be known only as Mr Forhad, 29, was also thrown forward.

He suffered a bump on his head and had his left arm bandaged. He was given three days' medical leave.

Mr Forhad said one worker had to be hospitalised as he was bleeding from the head.

He said he was lucky as the steps at the back of the lorry had taken most of the impact.

"There was a lot of blood so we are very lucky to be fine," he said.

"It (the vehicle) hit the steps first. If it had been a direct hit, we could have died."

Police investigations are ongoing.

accidentlorrybusexpresswayUncategorisedForeign Worker