Serial killings in M'sia: Family of 4 nabbed over murders
A family of four in Perak, Malaysia, has been arrested for their suspected involvement in the gruesome killing of at least four people, reported The New Straits Times.
Perak deputy police chief Hasnan Hassan said the victims were murdered and their bodies burnt at the murder suspects' workshop next to their home in Tapah.
Their ashes and bones were later thrown into a river.
"Missing persons reports were lodged on the four victims. One dated as far back as 2012," Mr Hasnan told journalists yesterday.
"We believe the suspects had bad blood with the victims over debts, failed land sales and stolen land titles."
The murders allegedly started with a 57-year-old man who was reported missing on Oct 30, 2012.
After that, a tour bus operator, 56, went missing on March 1, 2014, followed by a vehicle spare parts dealer, 54, also last year.
The latest victim was a 46-year-old land broker, who was reported missing by his son on Aug 25 after he left the house in Kampung Sungai Lah, Chenderiang, in the morning and never returned, reported The Star.
The murders were believed to have taken place at different times inside the family's workshop.
Malaysian police had combed the area on Wednesday to gather evidence.
The police's scuba unit was also deployed to search the riverbed to locate the victims' bones and other remains.
The mastermind of the killing was believed to be the patriarch in the family of suspects.
The 57-year-old man, his 54-year-old wife, and son and daughter, aged 20 and 17 respectively, were arrested at their home on Oct 26, The Star reported.
It is understood that they were initially held under a seven-day remand order which expired on Sunday.
Magistrate Nurul Nadia Abd Razak has allowed an extension of another four days.