It took 60 firefighters three hours to put out a fire at a warehouse early yesterday.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the fire at 5, Sungei Kadut Crescent around 2.10am. It sent five fire engines, three Red Rhinos, two unmanned firefighting machines, 10 support vehicles and an ambulance.

When the SCDF arrived, most of the workers at the factory and warehouse had evacuated.

Firefighters evacuated another seven workers, including occupants from neighbouring factories.

No injuries were reported. The cause of fire is being investigated.

A 72-year-old woman died of dengue fever last month, the sixth fatality from the viral disease in Singapore this year.

The Ministry of Health and the National Environment Agency said in a joint statement yesterday that they were notified of the death of the Singaporean woman, who lived in Simei Street 1. She had been admitted to Changi General Hospital on June 22, and she died on June 25.

An active two-case dengue cluster in the area was notified on June 25. A mosquito breeding site was detected and destroyed in a bamboo pole holder at Block 135, Simei Street 1.

The cluster closed on July 4, but routine surveillance in the area will continue, the statement said.

Philippines President Rodgrigo Duterte met a businessman he accused of being a top drug lord and threatened to kill him.

In the bizarre meeting on Friday, the president warned Mr Peter Lim to steer clear of narcotics.

"I will execute you.... I will finish you off," Mr Duterte said.

A video was posted on a government YouTube channel yesterday with a caption identifying Mr Lim as one of the leaders of "the triad involved in illegal drug operations in the country".

Mr Lim denied he was the alleged drug dealer but admitted he was investigated in 1997 for narcotics links. He pledged to cooperate in Mr Duterte's anti-crime campaign. - AFP

Police seized thousands of newspapers in Indian-controlled Kashmir and detained printing press workers, ramping up an information blackout after a week of unrest left 39 dead.

Teams of officers swooped on major newspaper offices in the restive region overnight, seizing printing plates in an attempt to curb news of fatal clashes from spreading.

With Internet and mobile networks already suspended, the authorities also halted cable television, fearing that news of protesters' deaths could fuel further protests.

Newspaper copies that had reached some distributors in the main city of Srinagar were also taken by police, said a local resident. - AFP