Fifa in turmoil after investigator slams summary of his World Cup bid probe
Fifa's probe into the controversial bidding race for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups was thrown into turmoil on Thursday (Nov 13) after its own investigator Michael Garcia complained that a summary of his report misrepresented his conclusions.
Garcia, who carried out an exhaustive investigation into the bidding, slammed an "incomplete and erroneous" version of his report and said he planned to appeal.
Football's world governing body had earlier cleared Qatar and Russia of corruption and ruled out a re-vote for the tournaments despite widespread allegations of wrongdoing.
Garcia, a former New York federal prosecutor, spent 18 months investigating the controversial World Cup race that ended with the selection of Russia for 2018 and Qatar for 2022.
He issued a statement saying: "Today's decision by the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions detailed in the investigatory chamber's report. I intend to appeal this decision to the Fifa Appeal Committee."
Hans-Joachim Eckert, chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of Fifa's independent ethics committee, had revealed that the investigation had not yielded evidence of corruption and there would be no re-vote on awarding the tournaments to Qatar and Russia.
The report admitted that even though there had been a series of worrying episodes in the bidding for the 2022 tournament, as well as the 2018 World Cup in Russia, there was not enough evidence to justify reopening the process.
"The report identified certain occurrences that were suited to impair the integrity of the 2018/2022 World Cups bidding process," said the 42-page report.
".. the occurrences at issue were, in the chairman's assessment, only of very limited scope.
"In particular, the effects of these occurrences on the bidding process as a whole were far from reaching any threshold that would require returning to the bidding process, let alone reopening it.
"The assessment of the 2018/2022 Fifa World Cups bidding process is therefore closed for the Fifa ethics committee."
Qatar welcomed the decision saying they had been "confident" they won the bid with a "clean" record ahead of rivals Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States.
The report also said that in Australia's bid for 2022 "there are certain indications of potentially problematic conduct of specific individuals in the light of relevant Fifa Ethics rules".
Hassan al-Thawadi, secretary-general of the Qatar 2022 organising committee, told AFP: "We were confident that any impartial investigation was to show that our record was clean and contains no irregularities."
The report also found no evidence of misconduct related to the Russian bid for 2018, but added that not all records had been available to the investigation.
The computers used at the time by the Russia Bid Committee had been leased and then returned to their owner and destroyed, meaning access to e-mails was not available.
The head of Russia's organising committee, Alexei Sorokin, said they had cooperated fully with the investigation but that some information had been "forgotten".
"We handed over to the investigation everything that we could. You have to understand that four years had passed and some information is simply forgotten."
Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko, who is a member of Fifa's powerful Executive Committee, told TASS news agency: "I was sure that this is what would happen – our bidding campaign was absolutely honest."
But the English Football Association (FA) was accused of "violating bidding rules" in its attempt to win the right to stage the 2018 event which also included joint bids from Belgium/Netherlands and Portugal/Spain.
It alleges that in an attempt to "curry favour" with Trinidad and Tobago official Jack Warner, who was believed to control a block of Fifa executive votes, the England bid team contravened bidding rules.
England 2018 is accused of helping "a person of interest to (Warner) find a part-time job in the UK" and sponsoring a gala dinner for the Caribbean Football Union at a cost of US$55,000 (S$71.000).
The FA rejected the criticisms, in a statement on their website. "We do not accept any criticism regarding the integrity of England's bid or any of the individuals involved."
The Fifa report recommended a series of reforms to future bidding processes in an effort to protect the integrity of the sport's most lucrative showpiece event.
These include four-year limits on Fifa executive committee posts, the Fifa Congress, rather than the executive committee, to decide on future venues, a more transparent rotation system and a ban on committee members visiting bidding nations.