Key points from FAM exco meeting
- The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) will not be extended in the best interests of both parties. The LionsXII will not feature in Malaysian domestic competitions from 2016.
- ATM FA, the 11th-placed Malaysian Super League (MSL) side will face the third-placed team in the second-tier Malaysian Premier League to fill the spot vacated by the LionsXII.
- Harimau Muda will not play in the S.League from 2016 and the programme will be discontinued, and replaced by a programme named the Project SEA Games 2017.
Key points made at a press conference that followed the FAM meeting
- The Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) asserted that most of its affiliate clubs were against keeping the LionsXII in Malaysian football.
- The FAM will consider having the LionsXII in its cup competitions as an invitational team in the future.
- The FAS did not commit to FAM's request for it to foot the expenses of Malaysian teams travelling to Singapore for away fixtures. Several affiliates raised the issue of increased costs - related to the weakening of the ringgit in relation to the Singapore dollar - of playing in Singapore.
- The FAM reiterated that the last four years of the MOU have been fruitful and that its relationship with the FAS remains good. - SHAMIR OSMAN