Six interesting Wayne Rooney facts you might not know
Wayne Rooney - the family man, the dad, the poet and the karaoke fanatic.
A new BBC documentary - The Man Behind the Goals - attempts to show that underneath all the fame, achievements and accolades, the England and Manchester United captain is essentially " just a normal lad who wants a normal life and to play football".
Earlier this month, the 29-year-old scored his 50th goal for England against Switzerland at Wembley, becoming the country's highest ever goal scorer, breaking Sir Bobby Charlton's record from almost half a century ago.
Wayne Rooney celebrates after scoring the second goal for England from the penalty spot and becoming England's all time leading goal scorer. PHOTO: REUTERS
In the documentary, which is slated to air on Oct 5 on BBC One, Rooney opens up about his life outside football - his family, friends and interests - unveiling the English gentleman within, according to the Daily Mail.
Here are 6 interesting facts on the English footballer that you might not have known:
1. First English Premier League footballer to reach 10 million followers on social networking site Twitter.
2. Because he could not hold in his excitement, he proposed to his wife, Coleen, in a petrol station forecourt.
3. He has a collection of guitars signed by his music idols such as Noel Gallagher and Sir Paul McCartney.
4. He still believes that the last-minute goal against Arsenal on Oct 2002, five days before his 17th birthday, was one of his best. "I still get goosebumps," he said.
5. Rooney enjoys writing poetry and often pens verses to surprise his wife
6. He's a karaoke fanatic. His wife says that he always "hogs the mic" whenever it comes to an Oasis song or Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally".
Source: Daily Mail, Mirror, BBC