World Cup 2014: Five quotes from football's best
Belgium coach Marc Wilmots
1. “Pressure? What pressure? Pressure is for example when a child is seriously ill in hospital.” – Belgium coach Marc Wilmots putting into perspective the term ahead of his team’s first match against Algeria on Wednesday.
Belgium's coach Marc Wilmots speaking at a press conference. Photo: AFP
German coach Joachim Loew
2. “Led by (Schumacher fan) Lukas Podolski, we all really crossed our fingers for him and the fact he has taken the next step is great.” – German coach Joachim Loew on the news that Formula One legend Michael Schumacher had emerged from a coma he had been in for over six months since a skiing accident.
3. “We always like it when she comes to see us, she is always a nice guest to have.” – Loew basking both in the 4-0 rout of Portugal and the post-match dressing room visit of German Chancellor Angela Merkel, an avid fan of the national side.
Germany's coach Joachim Loew answers questions during a press conference. Photo: AFP
Uruguay captain Diego Lugano
4. “It’s the greatest challenge facing this generation.” - Uruguay captain Diego Lugano on the Copa America champions' task to beat both England and Italy to ensure they qualify for the last 16.
Uruguay's captain Diego Lugano speaks during a press conference. Photo : AFP
Brazilian coach Luiz Felipe Scolari
5. “I have no problems with the refereeing. The referee blows his whistle and we play.” – Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari dismissing concerns over the standard of refereeing, especially the contentious penalty awarded to the hosts in their opening 3-1 win over Croatia.
Brazil's national soccer head coach Luiz Felipe Scolari. Photo: Reuters
Source: AFP, Reuters