Hed Chef extra: Braised cabbage with dried oysters and black moss
In The New Paper on Sunday (Jan 18) Hed Chef gave you the recipe for a sumptuous Chinese New Year dish.
Here is how to make it with some handy preparation pictures included:
- 8 napa cabbage leaves, washed and cut into 5cm-long pieces
- 10 dried oysters
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 6 dried scallops
- 30g fatt choy (black moss)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 20g ginger, sliced
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp ginger juice
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 500ml water
- 2 tbsp Knife Cooking Oil
SEASONING FOR BLACK MOSS
- 1 tsp Knife Cooking Oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
1. Soak the dried oysters in water for half an hour. Rinse thoroughly to get rid of any sand or grit.
2. Marinate the oysters in the ginger juice for 10 minutes, then rinse.
3. Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in hot water until softened. Rinse and remove stems.
4. Rinse the dried scallops. Place in bowl and fill with enough water to cover the scallops. Soak until softened. Set the soaking liquid set.
5. Heat two tablespoons of Knife Cooking Oil in a claypot or medium-sized pot.
6. Fry the garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and dried oysters.
7. Pour in 500ml of water or enough to cover the mushrooms and dried oysters by 3cm.
8. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer with the pot covered for 45 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. In between, check on the water level. Add water when necessary during the boiling process so that it just about covers the mushrooms.
9. Add half of the liquid used to soak the scallops into the pot.
10. Place scallops and remainder of the soaking liquid in a heat-proof dish and steam for 15 minutes. Set aside.
11. Soak the black moss in hot water for three to five minutes to soften the strands.
12. Discard the water and rinse the black moss thoroughly. Drain off excess water. Place in a bowl.
13. Add one teaspoon of Knife Cooking Oil, a pinch of sugar and salt to the black moss and set aside.
14. After 45 minutes of cooking the mushrooms and dried oysters, add the napa cabbage. Add more water if necessary. Season with oyster sauce.
15. Mix the corn flour with one tablespoon of water and stir this into the pot.
16. Put in the black moss and cook for five minutes.
17. Place steamed scallops in pot. Serve hot.